Monday, May 20, 2013

Back to Basics - Measure Up!


Since this is my first blog EVER, I thought I would start off with some of what I call 

“The Basics of Design”….

Let’s talk about where to begin, your staples, and color terminology. Yeah yeah, I know….sounds like a boring lecture, but wait…I promise it’s worth listening too because it may save you money in the long run.
Where to begin….ALWAYS start with a floor plan!  If you’re not working with a designer, I can understand how that can be a daunting task.  However, you can make the process simpler by using graph paper as a guide to help you draw out your space.  For every block, it represents a square foot (12” x 12”) in your space.  For example, 1 block=1 foot.  Got it?



If you’re great with a measuring tape, SUPER…if you’re not, ask someone for help.  All those friends on FACEBOOK, someone’s got to know how to use a measuring tape.  Make sure you measure all of your wall space, position of doors and windows, and ceiling height. A designer would take much more detailed information, but we’re just talking about basics. When you measure doors and windows, be sure to take the measurement from molding to molding.  With windows don’t forget to measure the height of the window and the space from the floor to the bottom of the window.  (You will want this measurement if you decide to place a something under or in front of the window.) 
 

Once you have the foot print of the room drawn.  Make a template of basic furniture pieces in standard sizes that you can cut out and use on your floor plan using the graph paper. 24” square table, 84” sofa, 36” bookcase, 48” coffee table etc…  Play around with the layout as much as you want.  Have fun with it, but remember form follows function. 

Why is it so important to measure…..well duh, you don’t want this to happen……

Oh, believe me.  It happens…. A LOT!  I myself have run into problems because I didn’t think about measuring enough.  So this one time at band camp….just kidding….but seriously.  When I first started out in design, I had these clients that lived in a Georgetown Flat.  If you’ve ever been to Georgetown in Washington, DC then you will understand this, but if not…..well let me explain.  Those jokers are a TIGHT SQUEEZE!!!!!!   I ordered this FABULOUS custom designed headboard for the client’s guest room.  They loved it, I loved it, it was perfect….then BAM, the blasted thing wouldn’t turn the corner in the hallway.  I had to pay the contractor to take out the window in the guest room and hoist that bad boy through the window.  OUCH, had I just took the time to measure the hallway I could have made the adjustments to the headboard first.  Now, you may not run into those extremes, but you definitely don’t want to buy a king size bed and find that you have to spiderman-style your way along the wall in order to get in and out of your bed. 
Well that's it for now.  Check out my next post about your staple pieces in design!  Ciao for Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below, I love hearing feedback.