Saturday, November 23, 2013

Navy and White Stripe Design

From Concept to Creation!

Who loves pinterest?  I do I do!.....Yes, Pinterest is brilliant, we all know that.  One of the things I love most is watching people repin my designs!  You like me, you really like me!!!!  Yeah that's right I get super excited to know you guys enjoy my work, makes me feel all warm and squishy.  

I get a lot of hits for this design on Pinterest.  So I thought I would talk a little about it for those who are interested.  
This area of the home is a split landing between floors.  Most people over look these spaces because you can't put a sofa there and sit down.  Well these are the spaces I enjoy designing the most.  They are a challenge for most and I love a good challenge.
BEFORE

AFTER
First I think most people are attracted to the navy and white striped walls.  Well good, I meant to do that.  I wanted a strong bold pop to make you notice the space.  When you first walk up the steps the walls are all done in the solid navy color (Classic Navy, by Weaverly) then you turn around and BAM in your face bold and beautiful stripes.   Now these stripes gave me a hard time.  Mainly because this was an old house....and I mean very old house....so the walls and ceiling were not straight.  To fix this problem I decided to create my own ceiling line using the navy paint.  I taped a straight line on the ceiling and brought the navy paint a little onto the ceiling up to my tape line.  This creates a new visual line and melts away the fact that the ceiling is dramatically off.  Then I proceeded with the alternating stripes.  They are about 10" wide each.  

I love the way Navy, Green, and Hot Pink go together.  It's fun, fresh and very fashion forward.  So I added the green chest of drawers (Malm, Ikea) to the space for a blast of color.  I added overlays (myoverlays.com) to the piece and choose the color from the painting on the right.  The painting introduced the pinks and orange color into the space while tying in the green.  The framed art below is a beautiful silk fabric I found and framed it.  It's an easy way to add more color to the space.  Try it!

I wanted to add a little bling to the space, a little decor jewelry if you will.  The light fixtures in the space was chosen because it added glam without adding another color.  The lamp I found in Home Goods for a steal!  The chandelier (pretty cool huh) was decided on first.  I love the way the crystals drop in a spiral shape.  They catch all the light from the window to the right!

Lastly, let's talk about that cute little vanity chair.  I found that at an antique market in NC.  My mom and I love browsing those places and you can find some AWESOME things there.  You just have to have an open mind.  So anyway, I rubbed the frame down with steel wool,  painted a new gold finish on the frame, hit it with a protective enamel, and recovered the seat in a fun stark white faux fur fabric and badabing, a brand new funky vanity chair.  I just love funky!!!!! 
Well that's it for this post!  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

 info@studioqdesigns.com. 

Thanks for reading, Ciao for now!
-Q-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below, I love hearing feedback.