Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Color me Crazy

Let's talk Color Terminology

Let's start with…Warm and Cool.  You may have heard this before.  Usually when referring to a warm color, people are thinking of Reds, Oranges, and Yellows…..when thinking of cool colors most think of Blues, Greens, and Violets.  Well when speaking in the term “Color” then you would be correct.  However, when using the word “tone”, it’s a whole other ball game.  Let’s look at some examples, because I think the confusion for most people is that colors like orange can only be warm and gray can only be cool.  Not always true.  You can have a warm or cool gray.  Still confused?  Of course you are, I haven’t explained anything yet….lol.  

You’ve heard of primary colors right?  Red….Yellow…Blue?  Ok, so all those wonderful paint colors from Benny Moore, Sher Will Will,…etc are just different combinations of the primary colors (well with some additives of course).  So depending on how much percentage of each color is in the mix will either bring it on the warmer side or the cooler side.   If the swatch has more red in it….it’s a warmer tone.  If the swatch has more blue in it, it’s a cooler tone.  Get me drift?   Still unsure?….take a look


Now with that said….warm tones vs. cooler tones…..

Typically warmer tones are said to “advance” meaning they come forward more to the eye making things seem closer.  So for a cozier look, warmer paint tones are usually recommended because it will seem like the walls are closer…(notice how I am using the term “tone” instead of “color”)

Cooler tones are said to do the opposite…they recede.  So if you have a smaller room, cooler paint tones are suggested because it will seem like the walls are further away from you. 

Don't be SCARED....
For most people, color is a scary thing.  It’s a big commitment and I know some of you have commitment issues! (not naming and names).  When you go to pick out paint colors, I like to tell people to go into their closet and take a look at the color you see the most of.  If it’s black, try using grays.  (You may also want to revamp you closet while you’re in there, expand your wardrobe people!!!!)  If you find that the majority of your stuff is blue, then try and find a color within the blue family.

Try selecting a favorite object in your house and taking it to the paint store for a color match.  Guys, if you just went into your man cave and pulled out a HUGE 49ers poster….GO PUT THAT BACK…ugh, really?  Just kidding fellas!  You can use the poster just follow this example, because I know you’re about to go for the obvious.  RED!  You would be wrong.  Red is a powerful color, and in my option should only be used as an accent color or if you REALLY know what you are doing.  Try going for the gold tones in the logo.
 

I like using throw pillows or artwork as inspiration. 



Well I think that’s all for now!  If you have any topics you would like me to focus on, hit me up!  I’m here to help!  Thanks for reading and I hope that I haven’t put you to sleep.  I promise the next topic will be more interesting.  Check back for my next post “From the Runway to your Hallway”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below, I love hearing feedback.