Friday, June 14, 2013

Johnathan Adler - "Maga Makeover"

So I'm starting this segment of Magazine Makeovers.  I love the concept of the Look for Less.  Taking a photo from a magazine and making it over with pieces and products for a much lower price tag.  I want to choose things that are accessible to the everyday retail market not just to the trade.  ENJOY!

I want to start with this FUN Adler Room.  Johnathan Adler is such a wonderful designer.  He knows how to marry many different styles of furniture fabrics and finishes to make a room unique and enjoyable.  Check out this one.  Oh if only I could AFFORD him!
white hanging chair in front of a black screen in front of windows

I love the hanging chair (sort of a rework of the vintage rattan egg chair) with the sheepskin cushion, paired with the rustic sisal rug and gold bamboo tray table.  See what I mean....the man is genius.

Ok, so let me give it a go.

So for that hanging chair, I don't know for sure where he got that chair.  I don't think it's one of his pieces.  Knowing that it is an egg chair, I can probably guess a price tag of about $800-$1000.  However, let's see what we can do.....I think we can keep the concept, but change up the shape a little.  This chair by Ikea is pretty cute. It's called SVINGA and it's $69.99.  Add it's Ikea colleague TEJN  faux sheep skin for $9.99 and this Maxwell Dickson Stream throw pillow, there you have it.
  IKEA PS SVINGA Hanging seat IKEA A hanging seat that rocks gently. Can be used with a cushion or pad for added comfort.TEJN Faux sheepskin IKEA The faux sheepskin is super soft, warm and cozy. Ideal as a rug or draped across your favorite armchair.
Ok, moving on to the table.  That tray table is to die for!  I love the gold bamboo legs and high gloss white tray atop of it.  It adds an elegance to the space and gives a little more structure for the eye to grab.  The one in the photo is the Meurice Butler Tray by Johnathan Adler.  It's about $600 smackers!....um I don't know about you, but I can find a lot more to do with 600 bucks then spend it on a table....an absolutely fabulously mouth wateringly chic table!....sigh

How about this one from West Elm, Tall Butler Tray Stand for $149.00.  Of course it doesn't have those sexy legs, but this one has a simple design that will add that structure I was talking about.  If only it came in gold....but a can of gold spray paint will fix that!
Room View

The Adler Zebra Rug, in the pictures is about $995.00.  That's a stinger, but this Hand-tufted Alexa Animal Shape Zebra Black Wool Rug from overstock.com is $237.00.  Both add the element of fun laid over the sisal rug.  The mixture of the two textures give visual interest.  It just makes you want to lay on the floor and flip through magazines with a cup of tea....lol

Since the magazine didn't source the lamp in the photo, I have no idea where the original lamp is from, but it looks like a Vintage Blenko Glass Lamp.  EXPENSIVE!  The color and shape of the lamp in the Adler room is just divine.  The base has a sort of decanter shape to it, making it a unique point of interest in the room.  Let's see if we can find a lamp similar in color and shape to add to our space.  This one green lamp base is from Lowes for $24.95.  Add a crisp white lamp shade and you have a very modern fixture to pair with the West Elm tray table.


The plant in the corner looks really, but if you're like me it will be dead in a week!  A faux silk plant would look just as good in this GRASET black planter.  I love the subtle modern pattern.
GRÄSET Plant pot IKEA Galvanized for rust resistance. Weather-resistant and durable.

Lastly, I want to talk about that screen in the of the photo.  Dressing screens are used in many different ways in design.  In this particular room I think it not only adds a great look to the over style of the space, but it also helps with the lighting, serving as a sort of window treatment.  The one in the picture looks like it might be custom.  I could be wrong about that, but non the less....what I like about it is the circular design.  Let's keep with that.  This Black Frame 3-panel 'Circle Design' Folding Screen here has a circular pattern as well and can also serve as a window treatment idea because of it's backing.  At $154.00 is a good comparison.


Well that was fun.  If you have a room you'd like me to try and recreate for less, please email me your picture and in the subject line put "Maga Makeovers".  thatsyourqdesigns@gmail.com.

Ciao For Now!

Q

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below, I love hearing feedback.