Sunday, December 8, 2013

I want one that looks like me! - Black Angel Tree Toppers

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

Usually, I use a Star at the top of my tree, but since my Christmas tree theme was inspired by a peacock feather I wanted an Angel with feathers on top of the tree.  My cousin told me she has a difficult time finding Black Angel Tree Toppers....I said get out of town, it can't be that hard.  MAN, she was right.... not only was it tough to find the topper, but when I did they did NOT fit my theme...SSSSSOOOOOOO, that's right you guessed it.  I made one myself.  What do you think?
FROM THAT
TO THIS!


I went to Walmart and found this inexpensive ballerina doll called " Funville Sparkle Girlz".  I liked this doll because her facial features resembled my own.  Cat eyes, round nose and DARK skin...ding I found the winner.  It also helps that she was only 5 BUCKS!  (So getting one for my niece for Christmas!)  Then I searched their craft department for peacock feathers, I was in luck because I got the last two..PHEW!  Then in their fabric department I looked in the quilting section.  Those of you who quilt know this, but for those that don't, you can buy pieces of fabric in quarters in the quiliting section instead of having to buy a whole yard.  I didn't need a lot of fabric so this was the ticket.  I bought a pack of quarters and got 5 coordinating pieces of fabric for $7.99.  Took the guess work right out of searching for more complimentary fabrics. Lastly, I hit the trim section and picked up a 1/2 yard of trim for $1, and a stool of ribbon/trim for $1.  I went to Michaels to find the remaining feathers I needed, found some for $6.99 with a 40% off coupon.  Bam I was on my way with only having to spend about $25.00.  Loving it!

I got home and stared at my hual...hum...I had to figure out the construction.  Meaning, I had all the materials, now what the HECK do I do with them...lol.  Well I figured it out, but first I needed to take care of one issue, my ballerina had this silky straight hair and I wanted mine to have kinky curly hair.  So, I took locks of it and braided it into about 8-10 braids, then I rolled the braids with drinking straws.  Dipped the whole head in super hot water for about 10 seconds.  I let that dry on a towel, came back an unraveled everything and was PLEASANTLY surprised to find a SUPER COOL AFRO!!!! YES, it worked.  So I styled it and then started putting everything together using the rest of my materials.  I used poster board to construct the skirt/cone for stability.  I made the wings of feathers separately on poster board then glued them onto the back.  I wired her hands together and I was done.  I used a hot glue gun for everything, NO SEWING REQUIRED.  I think it took me all of an hour or so.  So pleased, even my husband was amazed that I could go from what I started with to our Angel.

Here are some more Black Angels that I thought were nice if you don't have the time to make your own.
[ Black Angel Tree Topper - NS72 ]
http://www.christmas-forever.com/thestore/prods/NS7281021-16B.htm
[ Black Angel Tree Topper - NS82 ]
http://www.christmas-forever.com/thestore/prods/NS8285824-14A.html
Happy Holidays and Happy Crafting.  Thanks for reading.  Ciao for Now!
-Q-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below, I love hearing feedback.